History of Toyota (1980-1989)
|New Model Introductions,
Productions, Sales and Exports
Plants and Facilities
|• Celica Camry (currently Camry) and Cresta are announced.||1980||• Toyota Vista dealerships starts operations.|
|• Soarer is announced.
|'81||• Toyota Technological Institute is inaugurated.|
|'82||• Toyota Motor Co., Ltd. and Toyota Motor Sales Co., Ltd. merge into Toyota Motor Corporation.
|• Hilux Surf and MR2 are announced.||'84||• Toyota-General Motors joint venture in the United States, known as New United Motor Manufacturing, Inc. (NUMMI), starts production.
• Shibetsu Proving Ground is completed.
|• Cumulative exports reach 20 million units.||'85||• Tobishima Center is completed.|
|• 50 millionth Toyota vehicle is produced domestically.
|'86||• Teiho Plant starts operations.|
|'87||• Kasugai Housing Works starts operations.
• Toyota Memorial Hospital is completed.
• TMME (Toyota Motor Europe Marketing & Engineering S.A.) Technical Center is established.
|• Annual domestic sales reach 2 million units.||'88||• Toyota Motor Manufacturing, Kentucky, Inc. starts production.|
|• Celsior is announced.
|'89||• Hirose Plant starts operations.
• Tochigi Housing Works starts operations.
• Toyota Automobile Museum is completed.
• Lexus dealerships are established in the U.S.
• Tokyo Design Center is established.
§ Entries in blue refer to Toyota overseas operations.