Toyota has always been dedicated to producing cars that satisfy the pressing needs of the time.
Car making is by no means an easy pursuit. It requires countless trials and errors,
together with an undying passion to bring every vehicle and every component to perfection.
Each model we've produced at Toyota epitomizes a particular moment or point in time.
As one dot follows another, they form a timeline that represents a vehicle's growth path.
It extends over time and across borders, growing with society and customers around the world.
Together, the trajectories of our many vehicles keep sculpting the history of Toyota.
The Vehicle Lineage is a record of this process, as well as the dreams, passions, and
progress of Toyota employees, whose only desire is to be rewarded with a smile of our customers.
(1) As of 2012, the total number of vehicles Toyota has produced since the November 1935 announcement of the Model G1 truck is about 145 million in Japan and about 200 million worldwide. The Vehicle Lineage gives a systematic overview of the diverse transformation that Toyota and Lexus brand vehicles have undergone in the last 75 years. The diagram is sorted by principal body type, and a remodeling timeline is presented for each vehicle.
(2) The Vehicle Lineage consists of the following sections:
1) 75-year Lineage Chart (top page)
2) In-depth Vehicle Information (linked pages)
(3) About the 75-year Lineage Chart
1) The chart represents the paths followed by individual vehicle models.
- - Transition of model generations
- - Body variations
- - Base/derivative relationships
2) The timeline format visualizes chronological progressions.
3) Full model changes are shown in the chart, but not minor design changes.
4) The body types shown in this chart are limited to principal ones, and are not exhaustive.
5) The derivative models shown in this chart are limited to principal ones, and are not exhaustive.
6) The overseas models*shown in this chart are limited to principal ones, and are not exhaustive.
*overseas models:Models designed specifically for overseas markets and manufactured outside Japan. Export models made in Japan are not included.
(4) About the In-depth Vehicle Information
1) Detailed information about each model is provided in this section.
2) The available information includes vehicle specifications, descriptions, plants and sales channels, name origins, catalogs, news releases, and videos.
* Not all these information items may be available with some vehicles.
(5) The number of vehicle models found in this chart is approximately 400 for passenger cars, 200 for commercial-use vehicles, and 120 for overseas models.
* Models resulting from minor changes, modifications, late additions, special editions, and specialty vehicles are excluded from the chart.
* Some minor body types are excluded.
(6) Vehicles released by April 30, 2012 are included in the Vehicle Lineage. The information contained in the chart’s descriptions is current as of April 30, 2012 (with some exceptions).
(1) Order of listing
1) Broad vehicle categories are listed in the following order:
- Passenger cars
- Commercial-use vehicles
- Overseas models
2) In principle, vehicles are listed in the order of body length of the first-generation model. This rule may not apply, however, if the lengths of subsequent models differ significantly from that of the first-generation model.
3) Passenger cars, commercial-use vehicles, and overseas models are divided into the following categories:
Passenger cars: sedan, sports/specialty car, station wagon, tall wagon, minivan, sport utility vehicle (SUV)
Commercial-use vehicles: bus, large truck, small truck, van, wagon
Overseas models: SUV, truck (pickup), minivan, hatchback, sedan, coupé, bus
4) Explanation of Body type abbreviation:
|MV/CW||: Mini Van/Cab Wagon|
|TW||: Tall Wagon|
|SW||: Station Wagon|
|SUV||: Sports Utility Vehicle|
(2) About the In-depth Vehicle Information
1) Only the photos of principal grade models are shown.
2) The model grades mentioned are limited to principal ones and are not exhaustive.
3) The vehicle types mentioned are limited to principal ones and are not exhaustive.
4) The specifications mentioned are limited to principal ones and are not exhaustive.
5) The manufacturing plants mentioned are limited to principal ones and are not exhaustive.
6) The sales channels mentioned are limited to principal ones and are not exhaustive.
7) The name origins mentioned are limited to principal ones and are not exhaustive.
(3) About catalogs
1) To ensure proper display of 2-page spreads in a browser, the pages in a catalog may be presented in different order from that of the print version.
2) Depending on the form of the catalog and the way pages are folded, the page images may appear in different order from that of the print version.
3) The original copies are not for rent, and no inquiry to their owners will be forwarded.
4) The catalogs may not be printed or downloaded.
5) The copyright of all catalogs linked online to the Vehicle Lineage belongs to Toyota Motor Corporation.
6) No catalog linked online to the Vehicle Lineage may be copied, reproduced, rented, transferred, downloaded, printed out, or used in any inappropriate manner.
(4) The Vehicle Lineage has been produced based on consultations with Toyota's divisions and departments concerned. As some differing views have been received on certain subjects, including the categorization of body types, due consideration has been given to each point of view before making editorial decisions.
(5) The Vehicle Lineage uses Flash content which is not fully supported in all browsing environments.
* Please check if your device is Flash-compatible.
(6) The copyright of the Vehicle Lineage belongs to Toyota Motor Corporation.
(7) The Vehicle Lineage may not be copied, reproduced, rented, transferred, downloaded, printed out, or used in any inappropriate manner.
(8) The original copies of this Vehicle Lineage, such as photos, catalogs, and press releases, are not for rent, and no inquiry to their owners will be forwarded.
- Aday Inc.
- Kazuhiko Ito
- Intersoft Ltd.
- Dai Nippon Printing Co., Ltd.
- Kakugyo S. Chiku,
- Delphys Inc.
- DENKO AGENCY CO.,LTD.
- DENTSU INC.
- Nippon Design Center, Inc.
- Mikihiro Yamazaki
- Lingualite Inc.
- (In Japanese alphabetical order; honorifics omitted)