Annual Report 2006
Geared toward Continuing Growth
Since its foundation, Toyota has continuously strived to contribute to the sustainable development of society through the manufacturing and provision of products and services that lead the times. The foundations of these endeavors are the Guiding Principles at Toyota and an explanation paper entitled Contribution towards Sustainable Development that interprets the Guiding Principles at Toyota.
Guiding Principles at Toyota
The Guiding Principles at Toyota (adopted in 1992 and revised in 1997) reflect the kind of company that Toyota seeks to be in light of the unique management philosophy, values, and methods that it has embraced since its foundation. Toyota hopes to contribute to society through its corporate activities based on understanding and sharing of the Guiding Principles at Toyota.
- Honor the language and spirit of the law of every nation and undertake open and fair corporate activities to be a good corporate citizen of the world.
- Respect the culture and customs of every nation and contribute to economic and social development through corporate activities in the communities.
- Dedicate ourselves to providing clean and safe products and to enhancing the quality of life everywhere through all our activities.
- Create and develop advanced technologies and provide outstanding products and services that fulfill the needs of customers worldwide.
- Foster a corporate culture that enhances individual creativity and teamwork value, while honoring mutual trust and respect between labor and management.
- Pursue growth in harmony with the global community through innovative management.
- Work with business partners in research and creation to achieve stable, long-term growth and mutual benefits, while keeping ourselves open to new partnerships.
Contribution towards Sustainable Development
In January 2005, Toyota prepared the Contribution towards Sustainable Development statement to explain in greater detail the Guiding Principles at Toyota and convey Toyota's commitment to contributing to sustainable development in harmony with society and the global environment, with an emphasis on all stakeholders.
- We, TOYOTA MOTOR CORPORATION and our subsidiaries, take initiative to contribute to harmonious and sustainable development of society and the earth, based on our Guiding Principles.
- We comply with local, national and international laws and regulations as well as the spirit thereof and we conduct our business operations with honesty and integrity.
- In order to contribute to sustainable development, we believe that management interacting with its stakeholders as described below is of considerable importance, and we will endeavor to build and maintain sound relationships with our stakeholders through open and fair communication.
- Based on our philosophy of "Customer First", we develop and provide innovative, safe and outstanding high quality products and services that meet a wide variety of customers' demands to enrich the lives of people around the world.(Guiding Principles 3 and 4)
- We will endeavor to protect the personal information of customers in accordance with the letter and spirit of each country's privacy laws.(Guiding Principles 1)
- We respect our employees and believe that the success of our business is led by each individual's creativity and good teamwork. We stimulate personal growth for our employees.(Guiding Principles 5)
- We support equal employment opportunities, diversity and inclusion for our employees and do not discriminate against them.(Guiding Principles 5)
- We strive to provide fair working conditions and to maintain a safe and healthy working environment for all our employees.(Guiding Principles 5)
- We respect and honor the human rights of people involved in our business and, in particular, do not use or tolerate any form of forced or child labor.(Guiding Principles 5)
- Through communication and dialogue with our employees, we build and share the value "Mutual Trust and Mutual Responsibility" and work together for the success of our employees and the company.(Guiding Principles 5)
- Management of each company takes leadership in fostering a corporate culture and implementing policies, that promote ethical behavior.(Guiding Principles 1 and 5)
- We respect our business partners such as suppliers and dealers and work with them through long-term relationships to realize mutual growth based on mutual trust.(Guiding Principles 7)
- Whenever we seek a new business partner, we are open to any and all candidates, regardless of nationality or size, and evaluate them based on their overall strengths.(Guiding Principles 7)
- We maintain fair and free competition in accordance with the letter and spirit of each country's competition laws.(Guiding Principles 1 and 7)
- We strive to enhance corporate value while achieving a stable and long-term growth for the benefit of our shareholders.(Guiding Principles 6)
- We provide our shareholders and investors with timely and fair disclosure on our operating results and financial condition.(Guiding Principles 1 and 6)
Global Society / Local Communities
- We aim for growth that is in harmony with the environment throughout all areas of business activities. We strive to develop, establish and promote technologies enabling the environment and economy to coexist harmoniously and to build close and cooperative relationships with a wide spectrum of individuals and organizations involved in environmental preservation.(Guiding Principles 3)
- We implement our philosophy of "respect for people" by honoring the culture, customs, history and laws of each country.(Guiding Principles 2)
- We constantly search for safer, cleaner and superior technology to develop products that satisfy the evolving needs of society for sustainable mobility.(Guiding Principles 3 and 4)
- We do not tolerate bribery of or by any business partner, government agency or public authority and maintain honest and fair relationships with government agency and public authority.(Guiding Principles 1)
- Wherever we do business, we actively promote and engage, both individually and with partners, in philanthropic activities that help strengthen communities and contribute to the enrichment of society.(Guiding Principles 2)