Section 6. Postwar Arrangements and Labor Disputes
Item 1. Searching for New Business
In order to utilize the unused former spinning plant facilities at the Kariya-minami Plant (which was the electrical components plant at the time, and previously the Toyoda Boshoku Kariya Plant), Toyota Motor Co., Ltd. established a spinning and weaving department in October 1945, and proceeded to repair the surviving spinning and weaving machinery and restore the plant facilities.
In March 1946, the resumption of the spinning and weaving plant, which had 35,700 spindles and 611 looms, was approved and repair of the spinning and weaving machines was carried out with the cooperation of Toyoda Automatic Loom Works, Ltd. As a result, on June 17, 1946, weaving commenced with 40 repaired looms and, in October 1946, spinning and weaving resumed with 13,860 spindles and 384 looms.
In addition, plans to increase the repair of cotton spinning equipment were approved and, in around March 1950, the equipment was expanded to 44,216 spindles and 635 looms. In that context, the spinning and weaving department was spun off and Minsei Spinning Co., Ltd. was established on May 15, 1950.
Also, in the textiles-related business, when Tokai Hikoki Co., Ltd. (which changed its name to Aichi Kogyo Co., Ltd. after the war) switched to peace-time industries, President Kiichiro Toyoda directed that it should develop sewing machines as "Sewing machines are a peace-time industry and the change will be very good because people will always need clothes".1The sewing machines were sold as 'Toyota sewing machines' and, together with the manufacturing of automobile spare parts, became a central part of the business of Aichi Kogyo at the time of its redevelopment.